Father Wilfred J. Raymond, CSC. - National Director
Father David Guffey, CSC - Director, Film Television and Video
Tony Sands - Producer
Father Wilfred J. Raymond, CSC - National Director
Father “Willy” Raymond, a Holy Cross priest, has served as National Director of Family Theater Productions since September 2000.
Candidate for sainthood, Father Patrick Peyton, CSC, founded Family Theater in 1947 to evangelize the culture using the mass media to educate, entertain and inspire families. Father Peyton popularized the now famous saying, “The family that prays together stays together. “
Today, Father Raymond leads a dynamic and competent Family Theater Productions staff that:
- Produces dramas and documentaries for broadcast on television, film and the internet;
- Produces Spanish language radio dramas, documentaries and public service announcements;
- Is releasing 500+ digitally re-mastered classic radio dramas from the golden age of Hollywood;
- Conducts an annual international film competition for university students called Angelus Student Film Festival that “cultivates and honors future filmmakers as they explore and create works that respect the dignity of the human person;”
- Manages a nationwide public-service outdoor advertising campaign featuring messages of universal spiritual appeal such as “The family that prays together stays together,” and “A world at prayer is a world at peace,” among others;
- Supervises “Hollywood Prays,” a series of outreach efforts to young Catholics and others in Hollywood that includes a monthly ‘Prayer and Pasta,’ RCIA, Going Deeper, and Theology of the Body.
Before coming to Family Theater Productions, Father Raymond served as Director of Campus Ministry at Stonehill College in Massachusetts, in administration at Stonehill and the Congregation of Holy Cross. In addition, he served on the Board of Trustees at King’s College and Stonehill College and on the Board of Directors of Holy Cross Family Ministries.
A native of Old Town, Maine and one of twelve children, he entered Holy Cross Fathers in 1964, earned a BA in Philosophy from Stonehill College in 1967 and a Masters Degree in Theology from the University of Notre Dame in 1971. He was ordained a priest of Holy Cross on April 3, 1971. In addition to English he is conversant in French and Spanish. He resides at Saint Monica’s parish in Santa Monica, CA.
Connect with Fr. Willy: Family Rosary blog, Twitter.
Father David Guffey, CSC - Director, Film, Television and Video
Father David Guffey, CSC, a priest of the Congregation of Holy Cross, has been the Director of Film, Television and Video for Family Theater Productions, Hollywood, since 2008. He is responsible for moving a project from development through post production
He produces television, film and video programs, including planning the production budget and assembling and supervising the crew during filming and post-production. In addition he assists with the pastoral outreach to Hollywood, by offering spiritual direction, celebrating the sacraments and participating in programs and events.
In the years following ordination, he led Andre House, a soup kitchen in Phoenix, Ariz., and developed a major center of service to the poor and homeless in central Phoenix. He spent eight years serving in various roles in religious formation, including Assistant Superior at Moreau Seminary and Director of Novices for Holy Cross in North America.
He is a member of the Catholic Academy for Communications Arts Professionals and of Film Independent. He serves on the Board of Ave Maria Press, Notre Dame, Ind. He has given talks and retreats around the world on spirituality and prayer.
Father David’s education includes:
- A master’s of fine arts degree in film and television production at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles in 2008 and received the Dean’s Award for academic excellence. His thesis film, “Last Deal at the Mt. Carroll Gun Club,” has played at festivals around the country.
- A bachelor’s of art degree in American studies from the University of Notre Dame in 1984.
- A master’s of divinity at Notre Dame in 1990.
The pursuit of his religious vocation included:
Father David resides at St. Monica Parish, Santa Monica, where he regularly preaches, presides at sacraments and offers spiritual direction.
He grew up about 50 miles south of Dubuque, Iowa, in Mt. Carroll, Ill., where his parents Gary and Eileen Guffey, and his sister, Lisa, who is now married and has six children, still live. He enjoys film, hiking, photography, videography and travel in any form. He is a Notre Dame football enthusiast and a Los Angeles Dodgers’ fan.
Connect with Fr. David: Family Rosary blog, Facebook
Tony Sands - Producer
Tony Sands is responsible for implementing administrative policies and procedures to carry out Family Theater Productions' mission, its productions and other activities. In conjunction with the National Director of Family Theater Productions, he administers its national, public-service billboard campaign. He also directed three of the Catholic production company’s Manifest Mysteries teen dramas and co-wrote scripts (Assumptions, Finding Mary and the latest drama still in post-production).
Prior to Family Theater Productions, Tony worked in many facets in the film industry, including development, production and post-production and digital special effects, for which he received a credit for several feature films (Dr. Doolittle, Space Jam and Sphere). He is a published co-author, Cacique (chieftain), A Novel of Florida’s Heroic Mission History. And he placed in the top 10 for comedies in the Creative World Awards for screenwriting.
He graduated magna cum laude with a bachelor’s of fine arts degree from the USC School of Cinema/Television.
Born in Buffalo, N.Y., to Joe and Ann Sands and reared in Northern California, he has five siblings. He resides in Burbank and enjoys going to movies and plays, reading and writing. Also, he enjoys the outdoors, as he finds nature inspirational.